Friday 19 December 2014

The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones review




I am such a big fan of the Mortal Instrument books, so when I herd that they were making them into films I was super excited. I was straight to see the film when it came out and I personally loved it! Usually when you read a book and the film of it comes out, the film ruins the book by overthinking it or changing a lot of things making it completely different to the book; however I thought that in this case the City of Bones film was the complete opposite. It had the exact same content in the film that it did in the book but it still included new, fresh jokes and scenes and it did this without drawing the attention of the audience off of the main storyline. 
The target audience for this film would commonly be between 13-18 teenage girls (the twilight fan stereotype), however I took my mum mum, sister and 10 year old cousin (who is a boy) and they all loved it. My mum liked the romance theme in it, my sister enjoyed the magic element and my cousin liked the fast paced chase scenes. So I think that overall it has reached a whole different variety of audiences.

The characters in this film were made for the role, they looked the part and I have to give credit to the props and make-up department as they did a phenomenal job. I researched the making of the film and found out that it took at least two hours each day just to put all of the tattoos on one characters! The detail of them matched a perfect description of them in the book. 


                                                                                 
However after a couple of months I noticed that it was not getting as good as reviews as they would of hoped; plus the film cost quite a lot of money to produce so when it didn't profit as much as they wanted, the directors debated on wether to continue on making the rest of the books into films. They did finally decide to make another film however it was postponed for a year. Hopefully this extra year will give them enough time to make the second film better than the first and I will be first in line to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment